Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series #5)

Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 5) - J.R. Ward Lover Unbound is another installment of the Black Dagger Brotherhood in their continuing quest to protect the vampire race from the lessening society and the Omega's goal to destroy them all..Well, kinda. With the fore-lesser dead in Lover Revealed the lessening society is even less effective than it was before. And virtually absent in this book. You run into a couple now and then for random drive by murderingBut the Scribe Virgin is worried. The deity of the vampires is concerned that there remains only 5 Brothers to defend the entire race. In the past, the Brotherhood would mate with the Chosen, a select order of sequestered females dedicated to the Scribe Virgin, to produce more Chosen and Brothers, but that hasn't happened for centuries. The numbers of both are dwindling and without more warriors the Brotherhood, and the whole vampire species is doomed.So she needs a new Primale – one of the Brotherhood to go among the children and begin having many many babies. And she chooses her actual son, Vishous, to be the prospective daddy.But Vishous is not willing. Aside from his less than enthusiastic relationship with sex, he has kidnapped his own true love, his own mate (yes, kidnapped. We'll get to that) who he wants to be with, despite her being human. He also has to reconcile his long and tortured past with the knowledge that his mother, actual flesh and blood mother, was their species' deity and she did nothing to help him as he was tortured, mutilated and abused for decades.I ahm tehmptehd to try ahnd wrihte this ihn prohpehr ohld vahmpihre lhanghuage bhut evehn fohr snahrk it's too mhuch effohrt. So I will refrain.This book focuses on the relationship more than any previous book I feel. While we have snippets from Phury and John but it's very much Vishous' story and the usual conflict and establishment of a mate that doesn't really need elaborating on. One part of it that has to be commented on is the kidnapping. Yes, kidnapping. Vishous is shot and the EMTs take him to a human hospital before the Brotherhood finds him. He is operated on by Jane, and while he's coming round, he sees her and his Dudebroness declares “mine”. He also starts fantasising about murdering the human man who is flirting with her (this is the very first time he's seen her but already other men may not go near his woman). So when Rhage, Phury and Butch come to get him out of the hospital, he insists on her being taken as well. And later he has sex with her while she's asleep (but don't worry, he smells her desire so it's totally ok). Jane, of course, falls in Twu Luv with her kidnapper (she muses for about 4 hours about Stockholm syndrome before discarding it and enjoying the loving) and they live happily ever after. Ish. There's a death and a resurrection and some ghosty stuff but I won't spoil.